Blog Browser

Sunday, December 31, 2017

2017

2017...It would be easy for me to rate this year simplistically, but it was a different year for many people. Well, all years really are like that, but this particular one was tumultuosity (I made that one up) at its best.

For the celebrity world, we lost a SHITLOAD of people, more than other years, it seems. Mary Tyler Moore, Tom Petty, Bill Paxton, Judge Wapner, Chuck Berry AND Chuck Barris ( conspiracy there?), Don Rickles, J. Geils, Powers Boothe, Roger Moore, Greg Allman, Adam West, Martin Landau, Glen Campbell, Jerry Lewis, Don Williams, Hugh Hefner, Fats Domino, Robert Guillaume, Rose Marie, Della Reese, and now author Sue Grafton, to name many (but not all). I know that a lot of the older folks will leave us as time goes on, which is still sad as they are forever beloved, but the ones who went before their time, well, I can only imagine it was part of God's plan, and therefore must accept it.

For the political world, it was chaotic, to put it nicely, and 2018 looks to be even more so. Many people did not believe that Donald Trump would make it to the White House, but he did. Social media has been abuzz with propaganda on both sides, either condemning the right or left. I can't even comment on those anymore as they contain half-truths or outright lies most of the time. A lot of the population is scared because Trump appears to want to undo what Obama had done. I could go into a lot of those policies and laws, but by golly some people want to keep reading and I will not get mired in such molasses-laden goo.

In the entertainment world, well, I cannot really say much because I really haven't SEEN much. Boss Baby, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, and The Last Jedi are about it. TV is a wasteland save for a few shows.

On that note, though, I will say that The Big Bang Theory crew might want to hold on to that show as long as they can, because there is a syndrome of long-running ensemble comedy shows where the stars try to maintain their fame in other shows or movies and end up falling from the spotlight...not that I feel sorry for people who make more than quadruple my salary, but soul-crushing experiences are hard to see...so I change the channel to...

Terror. There has been a lot of it this year. From weather to mass shootings, people are scared. Hell, I'm scared some days, and that's just going to the store to get milk! Until the political world learns to work together and try to find a happy medium, the weather will continue to terrorize us. Er, I mean there will be unrest among everyone, and some prefer to end it all and take others with them. I have some tough days, grant you, and there are times when I wonder if it is worth getting out of bed or leaving the house.

But then I realize I am the man of the house (and the only driver) and I can't let my fears take me over, because Vickie and Natalie depend upon me to get the job done. It's a good feeling to be needed.

On the job front, I have been with the same school district for 16 years. There are teachers who are fed up with the system and dread coming to work. There are others getting near retirement and give less of a shit. And then there are those like me who can find someplace else to work. Oh, I know there are problems everywhere, but I think there are districts that have more balance. I am talking other states here, not staying in Nevada.

What is wrong with the system? Once again, it is a long narrative. but to simplify it...nah, there is no simplification. Overstuffed higher administration depletes funds that should go to students' needs, continued testing up the ass takes away from teaching time, educators' salaries not keeping up with the times, and parents who guard their children's every move lest they get a boo-boo and if they get a boo-boo, it's the teacher's and/or school's fault. You can't function in a system like that without going crazy.

And then there is the personal front....which I cover up to not damage your eyes! Nah, I'll let you suffer...

I love my family! They are the constants who make me who I am, for better or worse. Vickie struggles with many things health-wise and has been seeing the doctor more often to take care of things. A positive sign. Natalie continues to flourish in life, though her wild but fun spirit needs to be tempered at times... all part of childhood!

My relationship with my in-laws is a forever-fluctuating status. Really, it all comes down to how Vickie is treated. My relationship with her brother is pretty consistent always, which is good. As for her mom, that is a rollercoaster that has been up and down for almost 12 years now, and that is always due to how Vickie is treated. This year has been MOSTLY an up. When the time comes for us to move, the fluctuation will become moot.

As for myself, I am still thrilled to have taken such a great road trip this past summer, and would like to take another one if possible next year. I want to move, but will not move until an opportunity comes to make it possible, and the only person who can make an opportunity happen is me. It is time.

HAPPY 2018 EVERYONE! AND COVER YOUR FRONTS!

No comments: