Blog Browser

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Oh the Yuletide repeats are Frightful....

It is mid-November and we all know what that means...that's right! WalMart descends to hell's 9th level with holiday shoppers as well as the usual morons who don't know what condoms are. It also signals the soft-music stations' incessant playing of Christmas music for the next 6 weeks. I have no problem with this...to a point. I love about 60% of it, and the other 40% is like hell with mistletoe!

We all have our favorites...well, not ALL of us. I am quite aware that Atheist Americans want everything even remotely tied to a belief system blown up like both Death Stars. However, there are just some songs that grate on the nerves and prompt us to turn to the heavy metal station for a few minutes. Here are just a few:

1. Wonderful Christmastime by Paul McCartney.....I like Paul, really I do. However, I think his Wings era had a blandness to it that he could not foresee. The 70s just did that to some performers in all media.

2.Do They Know It's Christmastime by Band Aid...no band aid can repair the damage from the repeated playings, not even with Bactine!

3. Little Saint Nick by the Beach Boys....once again I respect the band, and I do understand the contractual holiday song obligation, but I think the Little Deuce Coupe driven by Pasadena's little old lady down Colorado Boulevard ought to run down this recording once and for all.

4. Anything sung by Josh Groban...I am still wearing garlic and a cross to keep his voice out of my brain!

5. Baby's First Christmas by Connie Francis...again, CONTRACTUAL OBLIGATION is suspected here, but then again I'm not Ms. Francis's biggest fan

6. All I Want for Christmas by Mariah Carey...all I want for her is to LOSE the two front teeth, then this song might be fun!

And then there's the painful rendition department. There's the good and the bad.

Sleigh Ride
Good: Johnny Mathis, Amy Grant, the Ronettes
Bad: AIR SUPPLY

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year
Good: Andy Williams
Bad: Johnny Mathis

Jingle Bells
Good: Gene Autry, Bing, Crazy Frog, Jimmy Buffett
Bad: Alvin and the Chipmunks, but then their other songs grate on you after awhile...James Taylor sucks on this, too

Any other bad renditions that I have not thought of? Well, comment to tell me!

Now to the good. I have fond Christmas memories from childhood and have 1 or 2 recent finds that are good to my ears. Highlights are:

1. Anything except "Silent Night" by Gene Autry
2. Bing all the way! Backed up by the Andrews Sisters makes it better. ( a side note: I know it's been alleged that he was a child beater. Well, it doesn't affect his music prowess and that was before my time.)
3. Frank Sinatra
4. Dean Martin
5. "What Child Is This?" by Vikki Carr
6. "Mary Did You Know" by Sonia Isaacs
7. "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" by Tony Bennett

And, if you can find them, there's a couple of CD's of Christmas novelty songs and skits put out by Dr. Demento. I have one, I need the other (and I do mean NEED)

So, just sit back this holiday season, forget your troubles, listen to some great music....and if you have a moment send a few X Wings down Air Supply's trench, if you get my drift!

No comments: