Blog Browser

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Yosemite...in less than a day!

   Is it possible? Can what is possibly the greatest national park in, well, our nation, be done in a day? It sure can! All you need is a guide to the park's best activities or attractions, pick 2, and stick with them. It also helps to have flight reservations at either Reno or San Francisco airports for the next day to motivate your speed!

   Did I put my own family through this? Absolutely not! However, my dad did a long time ago. Around the mid-80s, my father's engineering firm in Reading, Pennsylvania was running out of work for him in the office, so they sent him on out-of-town assignments that went for weeks or even months. In the summer, he would make up lost time to my sister and me by taking us to the towns where he was working, stick us in a motel room together for the day, then take us to dinner and show us the sights.

   He had the best intentions in the world. However, there was one fact he forgot: my sister and I made for the worst roommate combo in the history of the earth (well, not exactly, there was one year in the college dorms I will discuss at another time). Putting it simply, keeping us cooped in one room for a day was like keeping a Lions fan and a Bears fan in a cage together...not a pretty picture!

   The first year my dad tried this experiment was in Homosassa Springs, Florida (it's as pretty as it sounds!), about 50 miles north of Tampa. I'd say the best part of this trip was seeing Back to the Future at the local theater. Apart from that, it was less than satisfactory. Florida in the summer is a practice in patience for any traveler.

   The second experiment was a year later, but in Berkeley, California. At least we got to see the Golden Gate Bridge, Fisherman's Wharf, Sausalito, and other Bay Area attractions. Apart from the hotel room confinement, I had a much better time than in Florida. However, my dad had a surprise for us at the end. After wrapping up his work in the morning, he took us in the rental car, a state-of-the-crap Chevette, out to the Central Valley (akin to taking a pet for a "drive to the country") and into the Sierra Nevada Mountains for a little taste of Yosemite National Park.

   As reservations inside the park are made decades in advance, we were lucky to find shelter at the Yosemite View Inn, just outside the park entrance. It was actually just right for the 3 of us. The next day, my dad had a plan: pick 2 activities in the park, do them, and leave for the Bay Area where we had flight reservations for the next day. All-righty then! We first rented some bikes and rode around the valley for about an hour. Then, we did some rafting on the Merced River. This was where I ran into some conflict with my dad. I wasn't an experienced rafter, much less rower. Yet, he wanted me to row a strong and as fast as I could, as though we were rowing to the airport!

   Somehow, we made it to the end of the course, hopped into the Chevettemobile, and took the windy way back to the Bay Area. The next day, my sister flew down to San Diego to continue her vacation while Dad and I flew home. What made up for that wacky experience was that the whole family went to Yosemite the next year and spent about a week there. Luckily for us, the Yosemite View Inn held our reservations for a whole year! I think they were anticipating their closure at the time just to humor us, but they were indeed open the following summer.

   What also makes up for that experience is that, like many other family memories that weren't quite so fun at the time, it is truly laughed about today! I hear the horn, so I'd better go. My Chevette doesn't like to be kept waiting!

No comments: